AUSTIN – Former Texas House Speaker Joe Straus today announced the formation of Texas Forever Forward, a political committee that will promote a thoughtful, conservative approach to governing and rising political leaders ready to ensure a bright future for all Texans.
“We are launching this effort because I believe Texas needs leaders who are forward-looking and dedicated to bringing creative, problem-solving ideas to the new challenges our state faces as our population rapidly grows,” Straus said. “It’s time to unite Texas in civic participation and ensure our next decades are the very best in our long, proud history.”
Through Texas Forever Forward, Straus plans to engage more Texans in the political process by advocating the PAC’s core principles and supporting candidates who can provide the type of leadership that a fast-growing state most needs.
As Speaker of the Texas House, Straus was widely praised for his thoughtful, responsible approach to governing. The new PAC will allow him to continue to champion the principles and leadership style for which Straus is known and respected throughout the state.
Texas Forever Forward will base its work on the following principles:
- Public education is our greatest economic development tool, and it’s critical to make meaningful, sustainable investments in Texas students.
- A diverse, outstanding system of higher education offers every Texan a path to a brighter future and fuels economic growth across the state.
- In order to remain a pro-business state that attracts economic activity and talented workers, Texas should embrace diversity and promote inclusive, non-discriminatory policies and laws.
- Strategic investments in our infrastructure – in a modern transportation system and a reliable water supply – provide the foundation that a fast-growing state requires.
- Effective treatment of behavioral health challenges will vastly improve millions of Texans’ quality of life.
- Government should be transparent and accountable in its stewardship of taxpayer dollars.
- Greater participation in our democracy will strengthen our discourse and lead to better policy outcomes.
“I am looking forward to staying engaged with Texans about how we make the state even more economically competitive,” Straus said. “We will focus on the priorities that are most needed to accomplish big things for Texas.”
Texans for Joe Straus, which has been Straus’ primary political committee in recent years, is contributing $2.5 million to Texas Forever Forward. Speaker Straus will serve as Chairman and former Texas Supreme Court Justice Wallace B. Jefferson will serve as Treasurer.
The new PAC’s purpose statement is:
“Texas Forever Forward believes to achieve its highest potential, Texas needs policies that promote limited government and free enterprise, that educate and attract innovative minds, and that create a welcoming climate for economic growth and prosperity. We will support elected officials, candidates, emerging leaders and ideas that are focused on Texas’ challenges. We will promote a message that is optimistic, inclusive, entrepreneurial and future-focused, and advance a shared vision to create the greatest possible opportunity for future generations of Texans.”
Joe Straus represented the San Antonio area in the Texas House from 2005 to 2019. He was overwhelmingly elected Speaker of the House five times and served in that role from 2009 to 2019.